AMD has announced the “world’s first” x86 8-core ultrathin laptop processors as part of the AMD Ryzen 4000 Series Mobile Processor family, built on the groundbreaking “Zen 2” core architecture with innovative 7nm process technology and optimized high-performance Radeon graphics in SOC design. As the third generation of AMD Ryzen Mobile processors, the new 4000 Series provides unprecedented performance levels, significant design enhancements, and incredible power efficiency for ultrathin and gaming laptops.
AMD also announced the AMD Athlon 3000 Series Mobile Processor family powered by “Zen” architecture, enabling modern computing experiences with the real performance for a wider range of laptop users. Consumers will be able to purchase the first AMD Ryzen 4000 Series and Athlon 3000 Series powered laptops from Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and others starting in Q1 2020, with more systems expected to launch throughout 2020 with global OEM partners.
In addition, AMD announced the highly anticipated 64-core, 128-thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X will be available globally expected February 7, 2020. Purpose-built to enable extreme performance for 3D, visual effects, and video professionals, the 3990X delivers up to 51% faster-rendering performance than the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X processor.
“We are kicking off 2020 with a bang, bringing unmatched performance, graphics, and longer battery life to ultrathin and gaming laptop users with the new AMD Ryzen 4000 Series Mobile Processors,” said Saeid Moshkelani, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Client Compute. “We saw historic portfolio growth for AMD Ryzen Mobile-powered systems in 2019, and we are already on track to bring wider system adoption of AMD Ryzen 4000 Series Mobile Processors in 2020 from major OEM partners, offering twice the power-efficiency from the previous generation.”
AMD Ryzen 4000 Series Mobile Processors with Radeon Graphics
Featuring up to 8 cores and 16 threads, the AMD Ryzen 4000 U-Series Mobile Processors provide incredible responsiveness and portability, delivering disruptive performance for ultrathin laptops with a configurable 15W TDP. Additionally, with more than 90 million laptop gamers and creators, the AMD Ryzen 4000 H-Series Mobile Processors are the new standard for gaming and content creation in innovative, thin and light laptops with a configurable 45W TDP.
The new AMD Ryzen 7 4800U offers:
- Up to 4% greater single-thread performance and up to 90% faster-multithreaded performance than the competition
- Up to 18% faster graphics performance than the competition
The new AMD Ryzen 7 4800H offers:
- Up to 5% greater single-threaded and up to 46% greater multi-threaded performance than the competition
- Up to 25% faster 4K video encoding using Adobe Premier than the competition
- Up to 39% greater gameplay physics simulation performance than the competition
AMD also detailed AMD SmartShift technology, allowing users to harness Ryzen 4000 Mobile Processors, Radeon Graphics, and the latest AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 edition, advancing computing experiences by efficiently optimizing performance as needed taking gaming experiences to unprecedented new levels. By dynamically shifting power between the Ryzen processor and Radeon graphics, AMD SmartShift technology seamlessly delivers up to 10% greater gaming performance and up to 12% more content creation performance.
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X Processor
AMD also launched the highly anticipated AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X, the world’s first 64-core desktop processor. Creators around the world can purchase the industry-leading processor from participating global retailers and system integrators with on-shelf availability expected February 7, 2020.
With an unprecedented amount of single-socket compute performance in a desktop platform, the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X will be the definitive solution for digital content creation professionals working with 3D animation, raytraced VFX, and 8K video codecs delivering:
- Up to 51% greater performance than the industry-leading Ryzen Threadripper 3970X in 3D Ray Tracing with the MAXON Cinema4D Renderer
- A historic Cinebench R20.06 score of 25,399 points for a single processor
AMD Athlon 3000 Series Mobile Processors with Radeon Graphics
Bringing consumers more choice, the new AMD Athlon 3000 Series Mobile Processor family expands the reach of the powerful “Zen” architecture to mainstream notebooks. Athlon 3000 Series enables modern computing experiences such as Windows Hello and Cortana, real performance for day-to-day productivity, and Full HD streaming. Offering up to 86% faster graphics and up to 51% better productivity performance over the competition, systems are slated to be available from global OEMs in early 2020.
AMD has today also introduced AMD Radeon RX 5600 series graphics products, harnessing the power of groundbreaking AMD RDNA architecture and innovative software features to provide the ultimate in high-performance, high-fidelity experiences for 1080p gamers. The new AMD Radeon RX 5600 series lineup includes the AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT graphics card, available in custom designs from AMD board partners, as well as the AMD Radeon RX 5600 graphics card, available in pre-configured desktop systems, including the new Alienware Aurora gaming PC.
The new family also includes the AMD Radeon RX 5600M GPU, designed to deliver world-class 1080p gaming for laptop PCs, including the new Dell G5 15 SE. AMD also introduced the AMD Radeon RX 5700M GPUs to power the most advanced high-performance gaming laptop PCs. Built on AMD RDNA architecture and industry-leading 7nm process technology, alongside high-bandwidth PCIe 4.0 technology and high-speed GDDR6 memory, AMD Radeon RX 5600 series graphics deliver ultra-high levels of performance and power efficiency.
The flagship AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT graphics card delivers up to 20 percent higher performance on average across today’s top AAA games, and up to 10 percent higher performance on average across popular esports titles versus the competition. “From heart-pounding esports competitions to eye-popping AAA blockbusters, today’s games demand more performance, higher framerates, and lower latency than ever before,” said Scott Herkelman, corporate vice president and general manager, Radeon Technologies Group at AMD. “There are 90 million active users on Steam, and over 64 percent of gamers who participated in a recent Steam survey reported playing at 1080p. We’re committed to providing all 1080p gamers with the raw horsepower and incredible features that enable the absolute best gaming experiences with all settings maxed out. The AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT more than delivers, powering the ultimate in 1080p gaming at a price point that is sure to delight gamers everywhere.”
“Holding true to Dell and Alienware’s commitment to a no-compromise experience, the AMD Radeon RX 5600M GPU allows Dell G5 15 SE users enjoy high-quality, high-performance, immersive gaming on the go, using low power,” said Vivian Lien, vice president of Alienware and Dell Gaming. “Our desktop users will also benefit from the AMD Radeon™ RX 5600 graphics card by bringing top-notch performance and rich features to our newly designed Alienware Aurora.”
Delivering world-class performance and power efficiency, AMD Radeon RX 5600 series graphics offer all the capabilities and advanced Radeon Software features of the higher-end AMD Radeon RX 5700 series graphics, including:
- AMD RDNA Architecture – Built for superior performance, scalability and power efficiency, and designed to power the future of gaming. The AMD RDNA-powered Radeon RX 5600 series provides up to 2.1X higher gaming performance-per-watt than the Radeon RX 590 graphics card based on the prior-generation Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture.
- Radeon Boost – Delivers a performance increase during fast-motion gaming scenarios, including up to a 37 percent boost in Overwatch at 1440p, by dynamically reducing image resolution, increasing frame-rates and fluidity, as well as bolstering responsiveness with little to no perceptible change in image quality.
- Radeon Anti-Lag – Radeon Anti-Lag significantly decreases input-to-display response times, including making Apex Legends up to 22 percent more responsive, and offers a competitive edge in gameplay.
- Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) – Brings crispness and clarity to in-game visuals that have been softened by upscaling and post-process effects in DirectX 9, 11, 12 and Vulkan titles. When paired with Radeon GPU upscaling, RIS enables sharp visuals and fluid frame rates on high-resolution displays.
- AMD FidelityFX – An open-source toolkit for game developers making it easier for them to add high-quality post-process effects that make games look beautiful while offering the optimal balance of visual fidelity and performance. Available on GPUOpen, FidelityFX features Contrast-Adaptive Sharpening (CAS), which draws out detail in low-contrast areas while minimizing artifacts caused by typical image sharpening routines.